Fox Business is takings its viewers to task for procrastination.
“So you consider yourself a planner, do you?” they ask. “You may have your annual checkups booked through December… and a family calendar color-coded to the T. But getting your estate plans settled? Not so much.”
Sadly, they’re right. It is a long-standing fact in this country that most people are not proactive in their estate planning. A new study, though, reveals just how many are shrugging off that responsibility — and, shockingly, that most people know they’re kicking a can down the road against their better judgment!
Consider the following statistics:
- Only 34% of Americans have drafted a will.
- Most of the people in that 34% have only drafted a will, meaning they’re still missing the other essential building blocks of an estate plan — trusts, powers of attorney, healthcare directives, etc.
- 69% of Americans have seriously considered drafting a will but then, for one reason or another, did not follow through.
- 1 out of 4 people who say they are in charge of their family’s estate planning admit that they aren’t doing a good job of preparing.
- About half of the respondents say they don’t know where to begin — they aren’t sure where they’d even find all the necessary documents.
- Only 25% of people have made any arrangements for their elder care.
- 18% of people say the topic is too depressing to think about. (That statistic is mostly surprising because it is much lower than reported in many other studies.)
- 95% of people say they just don’t have enough financial know-how to create an estate plan on their own. This was the single most commonly cited reason for avoiding estate planning.
Well if you’re one of those 95%, we have good news. You don’t need to know a single thing about the law to have an estate plan! That’s our job.
At Bennett Watson Trust, Estate & Elder Law, LLC, we can create strategic and effective estate plans that provide you and your family with peace of mind and protection in no time at all. We do all the heavy lifting and shoulder all of the stress so that you don’t have to.
Break free from the two-thirds of Americans who are putting off for tomorrow what they ought to do today! There’s really only one step you have to take: pick up the phone and call us to reserve a seat for our Client Orientation Meeting held the second Tuesday of each month at 2 pm.