Before designing an estate plan for a client, we consult with an expert.
That expert is you. We listen closely to you, the expert on your family, to gain a thorough understanding of your greatest concerns and hopes for the future. Only then do we explain your options in clear, easy to understand language and create the plan that is right for you and your loved ones.
Your specific needs and goals depend largely upon where you are in life’s journey. For young families with children, important goals include naming guardians and establishing educational trusts. Older couples face different issues, such as protecting retirement assets, ensuring financial security for loved ones and controlling who can make financial and medical decisions in the event of incapacity.
A well-designed and properly implemented estate plan can help you accomplish a wide range of other goals depending on your unique situation. These include:
- Passing values, work ethic and a sense of responsibility to heirs
- Substantially reducing income, excise, gift, estate, and generation skipping taxes
- Keeping financial affairs and family matters private through a properly funded and implemented trust
- Caring for disabled children or grandchildren
- Making sure heirs are mature enough to handle an inheritance on their own, and taking steps to protect that inheritance until they are ready
- Protecting heirs’ inheritances if they become divorced, remarry or fall under the influence of unscrupulous predators
- Protecting assets in the event the surviving spouse remarries
- Ensuring a lasting legacy and impact on society
To accomplish these and other goals, it is important to work with a law firm that focuses on estate planning and related areas. An estate planning law firm, that is, like Bennett Watson Trust, Estate & Elder Law, LLC. Do-it-yourself software programs and Internet services may seem like a great deal until the generic “plans” they spit out are actually needed. Many attorneys who focus on estate planning are called upon to help families “fix” cookie cutter plans that have created more problems than they solved.
We are not paper pushers—we don’t simply fill out your documents, have you sign them, and then send you on your way. We are committed to establishing a close personal relationship with you and designing a customized plan that meets your needs at every stage of life’s journey. Contact us today to discuss your unique goals.